Earth Day 2017
In recognition of Earth Day, Flex launched our first ever two-week Earth Day campaign this year. 61 sites from 21* countries chose a set of actions or activities for employees to engage in to reduce their environmental impact and support the environment in their local communities.
More than 260 initiatives were implemented simultaneously during two weeks, and approximately 80,000 employees from manufacturing/logistics sites, design centers and offices participated in this global effort.
- 2,600 employees learned about environmental topics such as recycling, global warming and general awareness
- 1,400 vehicles were replaced by alternative methods of transportation including carpooling, walking, public transportation and biking
- 31,000 kgs of additional waste diverted from landfill through recycling
- 2,500+ employees cleaned beaches, rivers, streets and parks
- Efforts contributed to the following Flex 20 by 2020 goals: Decrease CO2 Emissions, Increase # of Sites with Community Activities, Increase Training, Increase Volunteer Hours, Increase Waste Diversion Rate
- Earth Day Challenge initiatives contributed to the following UN SDGs: Good health and well-being (SDG # 3), Quality Education (SDG # 4), Clean water and sanitation (SDG # 6), Sustainable cities and communities (SDG # 11), Responsible consumption and production (SDG # 12), Climate action (SDG # 13), Life on land (SDG # 15)
“I am proud of the enthusiasm and engagement our teams demonstrated globally to support our communities and the environment. We strive to help the world live in a sustainable way,” said Paul Baldassari, chief human resources officer, who along with other Flex executives participated in this Earth Day challenge and planted several trees in Singapore and Malaysia.
Our VP of Marketing and Global Citizenship, Kelly Hampton, noted, “We take sustainability very seriously at Flex, and are committed to the highest environmental standards and the communities we serve. Our first Earth Day Challenge is a tangible proof of the results we can obtain when working in a collaborative and smart fashion.”
Flex is committed to protecting our planet; we not only design and manufacture with sustainability in mind, but also develop solutions that help others to protect the environment. We invest in the enrichment and engagement of our people, and in the communities where we do business every day.
*Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine, US.